Sunday, October 16, 2011

A Living Legacy....

(Liberty taken from "Oh Danny Boy")

Oh Mother dear, the pipes, the pipes are calling
From glen to glen, and down the mountainside
The summer's gone, and all the flowers are dying
'Tis you, 'tis you must go and I must bide....
________________________________________________

Billy with his grandma, August 2010



Autumn has finally arrived in my neck of the woods. It will be a short lived autumn, I can already tell. It won't be long before the frost is on the pumpkin, and all the trees are bare. But for now, the air is crisp, the trees are more colorful everyday, and the smells of stews and soups fill the evening air.

This Autumn is different though. This one doesn't have my mom here. I want so badly to call her and tell her about my upcoming trip to Vancouver. I want to tell her that something hurts, and ask her advice. I want to share the everyday with her, like the results of my most recent mammogram. It's like something doesn't really have meaning until you tell Mom. Holidays are coming and she will be absent.

I will make no further memories with her. All the memories of my mother end in the Summer of 2011. There are no more pictures, phone calls, or visits after that season.

When Christmas comes this year, I know it will be sad because she wanted a big family Christmas, with everyone present. But, like my Father, July was the month in which she was to end her journey through life.
_________________________________________________________________________________

John and Janice Bulmer, 1957, at the beginning of their life's journey together.



She is now where seasons and holidays no longer matter. There are no changes in the weather, no sickness, tears, or death.

But I am still here, and I miss her so much. As I see Autumn unfolding before me, I remember it was her favorite season. She loved to drive to Skyline Drive and see the leaves at their peak. She enjoyed feel and smells of a cool Fall day.

_____________________________________________________

Mom holding great-granddaughter Cassidy, 2006.




Ecclesiastes 3: 1-2 tells us:

For everything there is a season, and a purpose for everything under the sun. A time to live and a time to die....

Her time and purpose lived out, it was her appointed time to go into eternity. My purpose and time may stretch for decades, or end before today's sunset. What matters is what you do for God. What is important is the legacy you leave behind.

Make thousands of memories with the people you love. After you are gone, they will be your legacy of love.

If you are the one who is left behind, then the memories of your loved one will be carried into the future. You will take them with you while you journey through life, past the point where their journey ended. Hopefully, you will pass your memories of them down to future generations, so that they too, will know the one who shaped your life. The person who once lived, will live again in the hearts and minds of future generations.

I love you Mom. You were my past and my present. Your life will be known by my grandchildren,great-grandchildren, and beyond. Your life's story will be written on their hearts and minds....
________________________________________________________________________________

A living legacy, of two people who fell in love and shared their life...the family of John and Janice Bulmer...continuing on into the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment