Saturday, January 2, 2010

Spontaneity and the deep freeze

This morning I had a bright idea. Why not go to Mount Vernon, the beloved home of George Washington. I've visted his birthplace, and his boyhood home, but haven't been to Mount Vernon since I was nine years old. Since I didn't have previous plans to do this, this trip definately falls into the spontaneity category.

Now, being spontaneous is great, but several things must be taken into account:

1. What is the weather like outside?
2. How much time will be spent outside?
3. Are you dressed appropriately for the outside activity?

Notice how all my questions had to do with being outside? That's because at Mount Vernon we had to wait for 45 minutes to tour the house, plus the walk to the house, which was considerable.

I had a wool coat, a scarf, and gloves. Usually any activity outside that would require more outerwear than that, means I'm skiing down a mountainside. I just don't do tourist attractions when the windchill is in the single digits. Bad move on my part today, not to check on the weather. Honestly in my driveway, it just wasn't that cold.

I didn't know it, but they don't allow pictures to be taken inside the main house, so I can't post any pics that I might have covertly taken. But, it was a beautiful home. I was overwhelmed by knowing George himself lived and died there. Most historical locations I've been to, have been re-creations, but this is the actual place he lived, plus half the furnishings were actually his. We also got to tour the third floor, which is usually closed to guests. This is where Martha spent the last several years of her life after George died.

Quite an estate, in a beautiful location. Now, I'm going to try and warm up somehow.


Eventually, my scarf became my hat




George, as a 19 year old surveyor




The view from the porch at Mount Vernon. Can you see the icebergs in the
water? Well, I can't either, but they should be there, with penquins




Mount Vernon Estate


No comments:

Post a Comment