Monday, May 30, 2011

French Toast Casserole

This past week I had my sister Becky and her family visiting while they toured our nation's Capital. For breakfast one morning, I made Paula Deen's Baked French Toast Casserole with Maple Syrup. I found the recipe at: www.foodnetwork.com.

First you place 20 slices of French Bread (about 1 inch each) in two rows (over lapping) in a 9x13 well-buttered baking dish.




Next you mix: 8 large eggs, 2 cups of half-and-half, 1 cup of milk, 2 tblspn. of granulated sugar, 1 tsp. vanilla extract, 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon, 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg, and a dash of salt. Pour this mixture over the bread slices, being careful to cover all parts of the bread slices (including in between). Cover and refrigerate overnight.



The next morning mix together: 1/2 pound of butter, 1 cup of brown sugar, 1 cup of chopped pecans, 2 tblspn. of light corn syrup, 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon, and 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg. Spread this mixture evenly over the bread.



Bake in a 350 degree, preheated oven, for 40 minutes, or until puffed and lightly golden.



Serve hot from the oven, with maple syrup. Delicious!



This casserole was very good, although it was a tad too sweet for me. I think when I make it again, I'll cut the brown sugar in half.

Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment