Sunday, October 3, 2010

Maryland Wine Festival

On Saturday morning Susan, Bill, Billy and I piled into the car and headed for Hollywood.....Maryland, that is. We attended the Maryland Wine Festival held at the Sotterley Plantation. It was such a beautiful day...the temperature was perfect at 75 degrees, the skies were blue, and the wine was flowing. Here is a little background on Sotterley Plantation:


"Older than Mount Vernon, older than Monticello, older than the nation itself, Sotterley Plantation stands majestically on the banks of the Patuxent River. It is the only remaining Tidewater Plantation in Maryland that is open to the public with a full range of visitor activities and educational programs. Sotterley's significant architecture features the early 18th-century Mansion, a rare original slave cabin, and a full array of outbuildings set amidst 95 acres of rolling fields, gardens, and riverfront". (cited from the History section on the Sotterley Plantation website)

Some of Maryland's finest wineries were represented at this festival. Each winery was set up under their own tent. You were given a glass when you arrived, and then you just stepped up to the challenge of how many wines can you taste in one afternoon. At least that's how I understood it. I'm competitive like that.


This is Sotterley Plantation, at least part of it. It sits on absolutely gorgeous land the rolls down to the Patuxent River.




Susan and I at the beginning of our wine adventure. Like a kid in a candy store, there were so many different wines to try, I didn't even know where to start.




Here is an example of what the tents looked like. Susan and I are in front of the Fiore winery tent. They made some of the best cabernet franc I've ever tasted.



A nice pic of Bill and I. By this point in the day, I was really in love with him. :)




I don't actually remember having this pic taken, neither does Susan. I think we were clowning around and Bill snapped a photo. I do believe, however, we left shortly after this.




So for the cultured among us, a wine festival is a great place to meet new people and sample some fine wines. For the rest of us, it's a great day, made a whole lot better because of wine.

1 comment:

  1. hahahah, love the last pic, looks like you two had loads of fun!

    ReplyDelete