Tuesday, February 1, 2011

What's For Dinner? Not Creamy White Chili....

Have you ever had the kind of morning when you wake up, and know exactly what you want for dinner? I woke up this morning and knew that today, I was going to make Creamy White Chili for dinner. I'm speaking of a craving here...I had to have this Chili. I had it at my sister's house in Tennessee, and couldn't wait to try it out. It is sooo delicious. So I took out some chicken breasts to defrost. When I went to start the chili, instead of chicken, I'd defrosted a pork roast.

The problem with wrapping meat in foil, without any identifying info, is it becomes a mystery meat...I thought it was chicken...



But it was the "other" white meat.



So, no Creamy White Chili for me today. But I did make Julia Child's "Puree De Pommes De Terre A L'ail (Mastering the Art of French Cooking, page 520). Before it seems like I really created something spectacular, it is simply, Garlic Mashed Potatoes.

If you don't like garlic, don't make these potatoes. But, if garlic potatoes are your favorite thing, these are really good.

First, peel and cook 2 1/2 pounds of Idaho potatoes.

While those are cooking you need to make the puree. You begin with two heads of garlic (about 20 cloves or so). Separate the cloves and peel off the skins. Slowly cook the whole cloves in 4 tablespoons of butter. Cook until the garlic is tender, but do not brown!



Add 2tbsp. of flour, to the butter/garlic mixture and cook until bubbly. Then add 1 cup of boiling milk, 1/4tsp. of salt, and a pinch of pepper to the mixture.



Boil mixture for 1 minute then put the mixture into a blender and puree it till smooth.



Heat the puree again, adding 1tbsp. of butter at a time, up to 4tbsp. Whip the cooked potatoes and add the garlic puree, 4tbsp. of minced parsley, and 3 to 4 tbsp. of heavy cream (I need a little more cream than this). Season with salt and pepper to taste.



I was surprised that so much garlic is actually mild when not crushed. I liked the mashed potatoes, but have to admit I'm used to them having more of a buttery flavor. The mashed potatoes at The Loveless Cafe, in Tennessee, are still the best I've ever eaten. Sorry, Julia...:)

1 comment: