Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Baked...For Breakfast



In the depths of Winter I learned
There was in me an invincible summer.


by Albert Camus



This poem really spoke to me this past week as most of the country was put into a deep freeze. It was bitterly cold here. On a frosty mornings I like to make a hot breakfast, however, it must be easy because cooking in the morning is not my favorite thing. I made Baked Oatmeal one day. The beauty of this dish, is you can make it the night before, then just heat it up before serving.

_____________________________________________________


Baked Oatmeal

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

In a large bowl mix together the dry ingredients:

3 cups of quick cooking oats ( I used rolled oats)
1 cup of packed brown sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. salt


To the dry mixture add:

1 cup milk


2 eggs (beaten)



1/2 cup butter (melted)



Mix together and pour into a 9 inch baking dish



Bake for 45 minutes


It smells so good when it's cooking! Slice and crumble into a bowl and serve with milk. Delicious! You can also add walnuts, raisins, and chopped dates to this and bake for extra goodness.


__________________________________________________________


I love eggs for breakfast. However I usually scramble them or make a fried egg. I think 3 or 4 years ago I poached my very first egg. Well I've dawned on a new horizon and baked my first egg. It was easy to assemble and very tasty, too.

Baked Eggs

In a 7 oz. ramekin add:

2 tblsp. cream
2 fresh eggs


Salt and pepper to taste
Shredded Cheddar Cheese


Sprinkle some Panko on top
Add some dried Dill (or seasoning of your choice)



Bake at 400 degrees for 13-15 minutes. This gave me a medium set yolk. If you want a completely set yolk, bake a minute or so more. If only making one egg, cook for 11 -13 minutes.




Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment